- 1lb elbow macaroni
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cheddar cheese soup
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 5/8 cup butter (1 1/4 sticks, or 10 Tbsp)
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups shredded mozzarrella
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, roasted previously to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Farenheit. Make sure to salt and pepper before roasting.
- If you want to include the chicken, cook it the morning before you need it. I cook mine at 425 for 20-30 minutes a side (so 40-60 total), but PLEASE invest in a meat thermometer, so you can be certain its cooked all the way through.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a large bowl combine the two cheeses by hand, set aside.
- Boil pasta according to package directions, making sure to salt the boiling water generously.
- In a medium saucepan start to melt the butter, then add in the cheddar cheese soup and evaporated milk. Once the butter is completely melted, add salt and pepper to taste. Allow the sauce to simmer until the pasta is ready.
- If you decide to add the chicken, dice it up while you wait for the pasta to finish. Since you cooked it that morning and put it in the fridge it will be cool to the touch and should be easy to cut with a good chef’s knife. Cut to your desired size.
- Once the pasta is drained, add the sauce and the chicken, but DO NOT add the cheese.
- Take out a DEEP 13×9. Make sure it’s a deep one, this gets pretty high and will bubble over, which is bad news bears for your oven. Spread a 1/3 of the macaroni mixture over the bottom of the 13×9, then layer 1/3 (2 cups) of the cheese mixture over top that. I use a soup ladle to dish up the macaroni mixture and it takes about 2.5-3 ladles. Repeat twice.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Allow to sit for AT LEAST 10-15 minutes. I know, it looks delicious, and you’re HANGRY. But trust me, that ish is on FIRE right now. You will burn your mouth and not be able to taste anything, okay?
Okay, so I *know* I said I’m making healthy changes, and I am! This isn’t something we have horribly regularly, and I plan for it when we do. Which is why a food scale is SO IMPORTANT. It would be super easy to over eat with this meal because it is SUPER high in calories. The only way to ensure you’re actually taking one serving is to weigh it.
I hope your family enjoys this as much as we do ❤